Monday, June 23, 2008

Days 5, 6 & 7: Home-stay

So my new buddy KA and I went and stayed with Utashiro-san for the weekend. I have never eaten so much sushi in my life! He picked us up on Friday after 4 hrs of language training--yes it was in Japanese--and took us to a sushi bar where the sushi rolls by you on a belt and you can just take what you want.

It was very cool! Afterwards, we went to Starbucks. Yep, Starbucks. I found it amazing... Next, we went to his home and slept on traditional style futons. Not the most comfortable thing after about 4am.

After a good sleep, we had breakfast and then went to tour around a bit. We were in Kamakura:

View Larger Map

There were many people surfing on the shore, tho the waves were small. We then went to see Daibutsu.














It was pretty cool. Afterwards we attended the bi-monthly meeting of the local Toastmasters Club. It was interesting and there were a lot of very smart people giving speeches in their non-native language. I was impressed and commended them for how well they spoke English. We had fun and there was a party afterwards with sushi.

When I filled out my interests to be placed with someone for the homestay, I mentioned that I would like to know how to prepare sushi. Thus, on Sunday we spent the day doing this. First thing, we went to the market with was a complete zoo. People were everywhere and some were literally running in the store. However, the selection of fresh fish was amazing!


After the market, we returned and spent the rest of the morning preparing the sushi. It was fun as we made nigiri and maki. Several Toastmasters came by and joined us to consume said sushi. Then we returned to the site of the orientation late Sunday afternoon. It was fun, but exhausting to talk to so many people in such a short time. However, the experience did convince me that I could survive in Japan. I am sure that I will make many mistakes along the way.

Orientation finished this evening and tomorrow I go to Nagoaka and begin my research. Finally!! I am very ready to begin this phase of my stay. More to come once I have arrived there. Until then, Sayonara!

No comments: